Professor Geoffrey Soutar is a Winthrop Professor at the UWA Business School where he is the Head of Discipline within the Marketing Discipline Group. Geoff is widely acknowledged as one of the leading academics in the field of Marketing within Australia, and an international authority in the area of measurement within the marketing discipline.
He received a first class honours degree in economics from the University of Western Australia and an MA and PhD from Cornell University before returning to the University of Western Australia where he lectured in the Department of Management from 1973 to 1986. He was the Foundation Professor of Management in the School of Management at Curtin University of Technology from 1986 to 1994 and Executive Dean of the Faculty of Business and Public Management at Edith Cowan University from 1994 until 1999. He became Director of the Graduate School of Management at the University of Western Australia in 2000.
While at Curtin University he was Head of the School of Management and Marketing from 1986 until his departure in 1994. He was responsible for much of the School's offshore development that saw the School's offshore students increase from 50 in 1986 to over 500 in 1994. He was active in the development of the Institute for Research into International Competitiveness and the creation of a strong research program within the Curtin Business School.
Professor Soutar was made a Fellow of the Australian Marketing Institute in 1985, a life member of the Market Research Society in 1989, a Fellow of the Australian Institute of Management in 1994, a Fellow of the Marketing Institute of Singapore in 1996, an honorary Fellow of the Professional Sales and Marketing Institute in 1995 and a Fellow of the Australian and New Zealand Academy of Management in 1998 for his contributions to management, marketing, marketing research and education in Australia and the region. He was President of the Australia and New Zealand Academy of Management in 2000 and is a member of the executive committee of the Australia and New Zealand Marketing Academy.
Professor Soutar has acted as consultant to a large number of private and public sector organisations in Australia and internationally and has been active in research across a wide area, publishing over 100 papers in journals across a wide range of management areas and presenting over 2000 papers at seminars and conferences. His present research interests include the marketing of services, especially educational services, the marketing of technology, the role of design in marketing, service quality measurement and management, marketing's role in the public sector, agribusiness marketing, union and organisational commitment, employees' technology experiences and the impact of technology on work attitudes and the impact of perceived export barriers on organisations' willingness to export. During 1996 and 1997 he was part of a team that undertook major studies for ArtsWA and the Australia Council that investigated marketing attitudes and practices in Arts organisations. In recent years he has had a particular interest in service quality and its impact on organisational success in both the public and the private sectors. From this has evolved a long-term study of consumption value and its impact on people's willingness to buy and their subsequent satisfaction or dissatisfaction with their purchases.
Geoff was Director of the Graduate School of Management (GSM) at the time CEMI was established and played a key role in its success during its time as part of the UWA GSM. He has worked closely with Professor Mazzarol across a wide range of projects and collaborative research studies.This has included major research studies in the field of internatioanl education, strategic management and innovation within small to medium sized firms, and studies of co-operative enterprise and the use of online media to shape consumer behaviour.
In 2003 he was a chief investigator for an ARC Discovery Grant that examined the brand development of Australian organisations. In 2002 and again in 2007 he was engaged by the WA Tourism Commission to undertake research into the consumer decision making of international tourists.
- 2016 , Australia's Leading Co-operative and Mutual Enterprises in 2016 ,
- 2015 , Australia’s Leading Co-operative and Mutual Enterprises in 2015 ,
- 2014 , Australia's Leading Co-operative and Mutual Enterprises in 2014 ,
- 2012 , Co-operative Capital Units as a Solution to Co-operative Financing ,
- 2005 , Push-Pull Factors Influencing International Student Destination Choice ,
- 2001 , The Third Wave: Future Trends in International Education ,
- 2016 , Financial instruments and equity structures for raising capital in co-operatives ,
- 2014 , Factors Enhancing Word-of-Mouth Influence: Positive and Negative Service-Related Messages ,
- 2014 , Low-Tech vs High-Tech Entrepreneurship: A Study in France and Australia ,
- 2014 , Self-Determination Theory and Word of Mouth about Energy-Saving Behaviors: An Online Experiment ,
- 2013 , Energy saving behaviours: Development of a practice-based model ,
- 2013 , Self-determination theory and consumer behavioural change: Evidence from a household energy-saving behaviour study ,
- 2012 , Revisiting the Global Market for Higher Education ,
- 2012 , Word of Mouth: Measuring the Power of Individual Messages ,
- 2011 , Modelling the Faddish, Fashionable and Efficient Diffusion of Agricultural Technologies ,
- 2009 , A Socio-cognitive Perspective of Industry Innovation Initiatives ,
- 2009 , On-Farm Innovation in the Australian Wool Industry: A Sensemaking Perspective ,
- 2009 , Strategic Planning in Growth Oriented Small Firms ,
- 2008 , Australian Educational Institution's International Markets: A Correspondence Analysis ,
- 2008 , Factors Influencing Word-of-Mouth Effectiveness: Receiver Perspectives ,
- 2008 , Strategy Matters: Strategic Positioning and Performance in the Education Services Sector ,
- 2007 , Conceptualizing Word-of-Mouth Activity, Triggers and Conditions: An Exploratory Study ,
- 2007 , The Selection of International Retail Franchisees in East Asia ,
- 2005 , A Diagnostic Tool for HRM Benchmarking within a Health Care System ,
- 2003 , The Third Wave: Future Trends in International Education ,
- 2015 , Co-op Members’ Four Hats: A cross-case study comparison ,
- 2012 , Debt or Equity in the Financing of Co-operative Enterprises ,
- 2011 , Commercialisation in the Small Firm: Some Findings from Selected OECD Countries ,
- 2011 , Innovation Management and Commercialisation in Small Firms: A Study of OECD Countries ,
- 2011 , Self-Determination Theory and Word of Mouth: Exploring the Cyclical Nature in the Context of Energy Saving ,
- 2010 , Developing a Strategic Management Assessment Framework for Small Firms ,
- 2009 , Different Word-of-Mouth Styles: A Cluster Analysis of Senders ,
- 2008 , Exploring the Message Characteristics of Word-of-Mouth: A Study in a Services Context ,
- 2007 , A Word-of-Mouth Scale in a Services Context ,
- 2006 , A Word-of-Mouth Scale in a Services Context ,
- 2006 , Factors Enhancing the Effect of Word-of-Mouth on Consumer Outcomes ,
- 2006 , The Differences between Positive and Negative Word-of-Mouth: Emotion as a Differentiator? ,
- 2006 , What is WOM? Examining the Dimensionality of the Construct ,
- 2006 , Word of Mouth Scale in a Services Context ,
- 2005 , Positive and Negative Word-of-Mouth are not Necessarily Opposites ,