In this second workshop we examine the process of creating customers. This involves understanding how small businesses develop marketing strategies, and the crucial role played by personal selling and sales management.
Small group analysis will be undertaken to assess the current marketing and sales strategies being followed by a small business. Attention will be given to the development of a business generating system.
In the second part of the workshop the focus will shift to the process of growth in the small firm. This will examine the nature of growth, how growth is managed, and the need to view growth as a process that is inherently risky and needs considered management.
Small group activities will focus on the application of concepts and theories to a small business project using Action Learning Tasks (ALT). In this workshop, the ALT 2 Marketing, sales and service, and ALT 8 Industry awareness and the business cycle will be commenced.
Action Learning Tasks
Action Learning Tasks (ALTs) are designed to embed learning into practice and build on the existing knowledge and skills of those undertaking the program. As shown in the diagram below, there is an overlap between the 12 assessment areas within the Small Business Diagnostic and the 8 ALTs. It is therefore important that whenever ALTs are being undertaken, reference is made to the relevant areas of activity examined within the Small Business Diagnostic.
Action Learning Task 2: Marketing Sales and Service
This Action Learning Task focusses on the firm's approach to management of its marketing, sales and service activities. In particular how it effectively the company generates new business, and also how well it engages with its existing customers so as to generate customer delight. In undertaking this ALT, you should refer to the relevant textbook chapters, review the relevant lecture topics and associated readings, and address the task through with use of the documents listed below:
- Small Business Diagnostic
- ALT 2 Begin with Strategy.
- ALT 2 Check list for developing a marketing plan.
- ALT 2 Customer Relationships Marketing (CRM).
- ALT 2 38 Steps to Auditing your Firm's Marketing Materials.
- ALT 2 Assessing Your Market Performance.
- ALT 2 Marketing Metrics for Small Firms Developing a Sales Platform.
- ALT 2 A Quick Quiz of Your Current Business Generation Systems.
Action Learning Task 8: Industry Awareness and the Business Cycle
This Action Learning Task focusses on the firm's approach to monitoring the key trends within its industry as part of its environmental scanning within its strategic management process. The ability of the firm's management to make use of a network of key stakeholders able to provide information and support is also part of this analysis. In undertaking this ALT, you should refer to the relevant textbook chapters, review the relevant lecture topics and associated readings, and address the task through with use of the documents listed below:
- ALT 8 Industry awareness and the business cycle.
- ALT 8 Industry awareness check list.
- Dobbs, M. W. (2014) "Guidelines for Applying Porter's Five Forces Framework: A Set of Industry Analysis Templates", Competitiveness Review, 24(1): 32-45.
- Lucas, R. (1976) Understanding Business Cycles, www.icm.clsbe.lisboa.ucp.pt Kiel Conference on Growth without Inflation, June 22-23.
- Porter, M. E. (2008) "The Five Forces that Shape Strategy", Harvard Business Review, 86(1): 79-93.